Welcome to BASK
Bay Area Sea Kayakers (BASK) is a group of several hundred sea kayakers who live throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Our interests include flat-water paddling, kayak-surfing, expeditions, and playing amongst the rocks, in conditions that range from mild to wild. Our club exists to bring paddlers together for companionship, safety, exploration, learning, and great food and drink!
BASK trips range from local to international, and are all member-initiated with shared responsibilities for safety. BASK does not supply boats or equipment, although some members are willing to share their equipment. You have to be a member or a guest of a member to participate in on-the-water BASK events and a signed activity waiver is required. Follow the links to learn more about the benefits of membership and to join BASK.
We invite you to attend one of our monthly meetings! They are free, open to the public, and include food (suggested donation $8-10), a featured speaker, club news, and information about upcoming events. It’s a great way to meet club members and learn about paddling opportunities.
Next General Meeting: Wednesday, May 27
- Topic: Adventures on the Northwest Coast of Vancouver Island
- Presenter: Tom Colton
- Presentation Summary: In three weeks of paddling over two summers, five BASKers explored remote islands, took passage on a creaky wooden freighter, reassembled a sea otter skeleton, located a native burial cave, got lost in the fog, and saved a small plane from disaster. Find out how you can follow our wakes while avoiding our mistakes. Hint: you do not want to know what it feels like to be on a small remote island and lose your boats.
Other agenda items:
- BASK 30th Anniversary Celebration update: Tote bag survey results and cost—Elizabeth Rowell and/or Hal Beilan
- Safety & Education survey results and update on the Wilderness First Aid Program—Sharon Fleming and/or Sally Tobin
- Brief presentation on North Bay Put-ins—Don Fleming
- Recent and upcoming events
- New member introductions
Note: This presentation will be “broadcast” to members who are unable to attend in person as an experiment as a “virtual meeting”. The following are instructions to attend virtually. To watch the live video stream of the BASK meetings, please:
- Use any web browser to go to: http://www.ustream.tv
- Click on the “Log in / Sign up” link at the top of the page.
- You may simply log in through Facebook or create a free uStream user account
- From the Ustream home page, http://www.ustream.tv, simply type “kayaktv” into the search box and you will find the BASK broadcast.
- Before you will be able to view the broadcast, you will either have to view a short advertisement or wait about 20 seconds. There will also be popup advertisements. This is the price of “free.”
There are also free mobile apps for iPhone and Android. Go to http://www.ustream.tv and look under “Products/apps”
There is a significant delay of many seconds between the live action that I capture and the broadcast you see as the video is processed. You do NOT have to log in to watch the broadcast, however, I would prefer that you do log in, which allows you to join in a live chat as you watch the video. This is an excellent way to let me know that you are watching and that the broadcast is working properly. For questions about the “broadcast” please contact Jonathan Luskin at email@example.com 415.647.6586.