- Field Guide to the Birds of North America, by National Geographic, 2nd edition, 1987.
- Seabirds of Eastern North Pacific and Arctic Waters, ed. by Delphine Haley, Pacific Search Press, 1984. An excellent book, but out of print, and may be hard to find.
- The Marin County Breeding Bird Atlas. A Distributional and Natural History of Coastal California Birds, by Point Reyes Bird Observatory, Bushtit Books.
- The Audubon Society Encyclopedia of American Birds, by John K. Terres.
- The Sierra Club Handbook of Whales and Dolphins, by Stephen Leatherwood and Randall Reeves , Sierra Club, 1983. An excellent field guide by experts.
- The Sierra Club Handbook of Seals and Sirenians, by Randall Reeves, Brent Stewart, and Stephen Leatherwood, 1992.
- The Whale Watcher's Handbook, by Erich Hoyt , Madison Press/Doubleday, 1984.
- The Pinnipeds, Seals, Sea Lions and Walruses, by Marianne Riedman, Univ. Calif Press, 1990.
- Seasons of the Whale, by Erich Hoyt, Chelsea Green Publishing Co, 1990. This book tells the story of a couple of dozen real whales and dolphins during their annual migrations. Although it takes place along the east coast of North America, the same species do much the same thing out here.
- With the Whales, by Flip Nicklin and James Darling, NorthWood Press, 1990. An extraordinary collection of spectacular photographs of whales, including many shots of right whales.
- Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises, by the National Geographic Society, 1995. One of the best books the NGS has ever done, with more of Flip Nicklin's spectacular photos.